Glen-Net is the community superfast broadband network that serves the residents of Glen Estate and the nearby village of Kirkhouse. Glen Estate comprises approx 30 individual buildings in which approx 60 residents live.
Before Glen-Net was implemented the residents suffered from very low broadband speed as they were literally at the end of the telephone lines that connected their properties to the Innerleithen Exchange.
Glen Net Design
Following the successful implementation of a WiFi network at Glen House, Premitel were asked to design and implement a cost-effective solution that would provide the residents of Glen Estate with superfast broadband.
The solution comprises:
- a leased line fibre connection from an internet service provider to break-out premises at Innerleithen;
- a fixed wireless backhaul connection from the Innerleithen break-out premises to Glen House via a relay station on the hills overlooking Glen House;
- three point-to-multi-point high capacity wireless radios that are connected to the backhaul connection and which serve the residents of Glen Estate and Kirkhouse Village;
- external radios mounted on resident properties that are connected wirelessly to the point-to-multi-point radios; and
- cable connections from the external radios to WiFi routers within resident’s premises.
Premitel continue to operate and manage Glen-Net on behalf of Glen Estate.
Internet Service Provider
Premitel are also the de-facto internet service provider for the Glen Net end-users. This includes the provision of billing and technical support.
VoIP Phone Service
Some Glen-Net users have ceased their landlines and are using Premitel’s hosted VoIP service to meet their telephony requirements.
This is significantly cheaper than their legacy landline rental.
Get In Touch
Click on the contact button to the left (or use our contact form) if you wish to find out more about your internet connectivity options or discuss any other telecommunications or internet issue.
Premitel are an established telecommunications & internet solutions provider serving primarily Edinburgh, the Lothians & Scottish Borders, although we have a few clients throughout the UK and overseas.
Our customers are typically businesses, although that includes the increasing number of home workers.
We specialise in:
- high quality VoIP solutions and services;
- boosting & extending WiFi;
- better & faster internet;
- cordless phone systems; and
- expense reduction.
Our advice is free for relatively straightforward requirements. For more complex projects, we offer a free initial no-obligation consultation.
Premitel in partnership with First City Communications also offer telephone & internet installation & support services for business & residential customers.